April 1st is also known as April Fools' Day. It is a day for fun when harmless pranks, practical jokes, and hoaxes are played on people. The origin of this day is uncertain. Some see it as a celebration related to the turn of the seasons, while others believe it stems from the adoption of a new calendar. The second group believes that the practice started in 1582, the year France adopted the Gregorian calendar, in which New Year's Day was shifted from the end of March to the 1 st of January.
APR 2 : International Children's Book Day
April 2 and is celebrated as International Children's Book Day, as this date is also the birthday of Hans Christian Andersen, who is the author of many famous children's stories like 'The Little Mermaid' and 'The Ugly Duckling'.
The day started in 1925. Today, it is sponsored by the International Board on Books for Young People, or IBBY. Its aim is to inspire children to pick up a book, and start reading! The day also aims to promote international understanding through children's books, and to increase children's access to books.lBBY was founded in Zurich, Switzerland in 1953, and today, there are 70 National Sections from all parts of the world.
APR 2 : World Autism Awareness Day
The United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopted the resolution on Autism on December 18, 2007 and decided to designate April 2 as World Autism Awareness Day. First World Autism Awareness Day was celebrated in 2008.
APR 6 : International Day of Sport for Development and Peace
Sport not only builds a healthy body and mind. It can be an important tool for development and peace too. The United Nations realised this, and proclaimed April 6 the as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.
Sport can bring people closer together, erase cultural, linguistic and geographic Barrie's, and promote the principles of personal integrity, fair play and honourable competition. Therefore it is important that we provide access to sport to as many people as possible, and also create awareness of its role on the world's stage, by celebrating the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.
APR 7: World Health Day
The World Health Day is celebrated every year on April 7, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organisation (WHO). In 1948, the WHO held the first World Health Assembly. The Assembly decided to celebrate April 7 of each year, with effect from 1950, as the World Health Day. The World Health Day is held to mark the foundation of WHO.
APR 18 : International Day for Monuments and Sites
The International Day for Monuments and Sites was proposed by the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) on April 18, 1982 and approved by the General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983. The aim is to promote awareness about the diversity of cultural heritage of humanity, their vulnerability and the efforts required for their protection and conservation. Theme for 2014 is Heritage of Commemoration.
APR 22 : World Earth Day
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970.
APR 23 : World English Language Day
We are all proud of our other tongue, yet no one can deny that English is a world language. It is widely spoken, and is the common language by which people of different nationalities can communicate with one another.
World English Language Day is celebrated on 23rd April every year. The date was chosen because it is the birthday of William Shakespeare, one of the greatest English poets and dramatists of all time. English Language Day aims to entertain and inform people about the history, culture, and achievements associated with the language. The day often features book-reading events, and other activities that pro mite the English Language.
APR 25 : World Malaria Day
World Malaria Day was instituted by WHO Member States during the World Health Assembly of 2007. It is observed to highlight the need for continued investment and sustained political commitment for malaria prevention and control. This year's theme :Invest in the Future, Defeat Malaria.
APR 29 : Day of Remembrance for All Victims of Chemical Warfare
April 29th is a special day, because it is the Day of Remembrance for All Victims of Chemical Warfare. Conventional warfare is waged with bullets, and explosivedevices , but chemical warfare involves the use of toxic chemicals to injure, kill and cause permanent damage. Chemical weapons cause death in inhuman and horrible ways, and kill everyone in any environment where they are used, unlike bullets and bombs that have specific targets.
The UN has set aside 29th April every year, to remember those who are the victims of this horrific method of warfare. The goal of this day is to also to spur governments to end the threat of chemical weapons, and to promote peace and security worldwide.
1) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Japanese architect Shigeru Ban won the Pritzker Architecture Prize 2014. He won the award for his creative and inexpensive designs for disaster relief shelters. 2. This Prize was instituted in 2001.
4) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Indian American novelist, Jhumpa Lahiri's 'The Lowland' has been shortlisted for the 2014 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction on April 8, 2014. 2. Baileys Prize was set-up in the year 2000.
5) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. British American physicist Stuart Parkin won Millennium Technology Prize-2014 for discoveries leading to a thousand-fold increase in digital data storage on magnetic disks. 2. The Millennium Technology Prize was initiated in 2005 by the Technology Academy Finland.
10) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting announced on April 12, 2014 that legendary poet and film lyricist Gulzar has been selected for the Dadasaheb Phalke Award-2013. 2. Gulzar is the 45th winner of the Dadasheb Phalke Award.
17) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Vijay Seshadri won the prestigious 2014 Pulitzer Prize in the poetry category for his collection of poems published in 2013. 2. The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction-2014 has been awarded to Donna Tartt for her novel 'The Goldfinch'.
19) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1, Sri Lanka, on April 6, 2014, won the ICC Twenty-20 World Cup 2014 title after defeating India by six wickets in the final match played at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur, Dhaka. 2. West Indies will host the ICC T20 World Cup-2016.
21) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Australian women cricket team, on April 6, 2014, won the ICC Women's World Twenty-20 2014 after defeating England. 2. This was the third successive World Twenty-20 title won by Australian women's cricket team.
25) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Indian judokas won 12 medals at the seventh South Asia Judo Championships held in Kathmandu, Nepal from April 10 to 13, 2014. 2. The 12 medal contain 10 Gold, one Silver and one Bronze medal.
26) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Kritsanakorn Sangaroon of Thailand won the 2014 Thailand Tour women's title of Asian Bowling Federation (ABF) on April 19, 2014. 2. In men's final, Shaik Abdul Hameed of India won the 2014 Thailand tour title of Asian Bowling Federation.
28) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Heena Sindhu, on April 7, 2014, spot World No. 1 position in 10 m air pistol event, the first Indian who made this position in this list. 2. Sindhu won a gold medal in the Asian Air Gun Championship in March, 2014.
31) Consider the following statements about INS-Vikrant: 1. INS-Vikrant, the decommissioned aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy has been sold for Rs. 60 crore to a company named 'IB Commercial Private Limited." 2. It was purchased from Britain in 1957 and was commissioned on March 4, 1961. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
32) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), on March 26, 2014, detected a smartphone virus called 'Dendroid'. 2. Dendroid is the virus of the deadly Trojan family.
33) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Europe, on April 3, 2014, launched a satellite named Sentinel-lA, designed to minotir Earth for climate change and environmental damage and help disaster relief operations. 2. Sentinel-1 is the first in a constellation of hi-tech satellites and was lifted off aboard Soyuz rocket from Kourou, French Guiana of the European Space Agency (ESA).
34) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The US Department of Commerce's National Institute of Standards and Technology (MIST) launched a new atomic clock, named as NIST-F2. 2. The clock has been designed to serve the new US civilian time and frequency, along with the current NIST-Fl standard.
35) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. ISRO, on April 4, 2014, launched 2nd regional navigational satellite, IRNSS-lB from Sriharikota space station of Andhra Pradesh. 2. The satellite was lifted off by the PSLV-C24. 3. This launch of IRNSS-IB is the 25th successful launch of the PSLV series by the ISRO. 4. This launch of the satellite had brought India close to join the group of selected nations namely ' US, Russia, China, Japan and European countries.
36) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. An Israeli startup StoreDot, on April 8, 2014, developed a new smartphone battery called Nanodots. 2. This new battery can recharge a smart phone in just 30 seconds.
37) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The upgraded solar-powered plane Solar Impulse-2 has been unveiled on April 13, 2014 at Payerne Air Force Base of Switzerland. 2. The solar plane can fly around the world for five consecutive days without using any fuel.
38) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Bluefin 21, a robotic submarine, has been launched on April 14, 2014 to solve the mystery of the lost Malaysian plane MH-370. 2. This submarine can create three-dimensional SONAR map of any debris on the seafloor by using its side-scan SONAR.
39) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The scientists from University of California, Riverside created a 3-D model of the human malaria parasite genome for the first time. 2. The 3-D model was created at three different stages in the life cycle of parasite. The creation of 3-D model will help in identifying new anti-malarial drugs.
40) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. A new software app 'Sandesh Pathak' has been developed to help the illiterate farmers. 2. This application has been jointly developed by C-DAC Thiruvananthapuram, C-DAC Mumbai, IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Madras and IIT-Hyderabad.
44) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The government of India divested its 9% stake in Axis Bank on March 21, 2014. 2. Axis Bank is the third largest private sector bank of India in which government of India holds 20.7% share by assets.
45) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), on March 24, 2014, announced to provide Universal Account Number (UAN) to its five crore subscribers from October 1, 2014. 2. Permanent or UAN will facilitate subscribers to avoid filing Provident Fund (PF) account transfer claims on changing jobs.
46) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. According to the Asian Development Outlook 2014, developing Asia is expected to extend its steady growth from 6.1% in 2013 to 6.2% in 2014 and 6.4% in 2015. 2. The outlook for the developing Asia has improved because the associated global risks have eased and are now manageable. 3. According to Asian Development Outlook 2014, GDP of India was forecasted to rise to 5.5% in 2014-15.
47) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its first bi-monthly monetary policy statement for 2014-15 directed banks not to impose financial penalty on the consumers in case of non-maintenance of minimum balance in their saving accounts. 2. The RBI suggested that instead of financial penalty, banks can limit services available to those saving accounts who fail to maintain minimum balance.
48) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), on April 1, 2014, adopted the Consumer Price Index (CPI) as the key measure of inflation. 2. It was adopted on the basis of recommendations of Urjit R. Patel Committee report on revising and strengthening the monetary policy framework.
49) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. India was ranked 102 out of 132 countries on the Social Progress Index (SPI) published by the US-based non-profit organisation social progress imperative on April 3, 2014. 2. The first SPI was published in 2013 taking into account the social progress in 50 countries.
50) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. World Trade Organisation (WTO), on April 14, 2014, projected that the world trade will grow by 4-7% in 2014. 2. It also projected that the growth in 2015 will slightly be faster at 5.3%, which is 20 year average growth rate.
66) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Ukraine signed the long-awaited Association Agreement with the European Union (EU) in Brussels on March 21, 2014. 2. The European Commission agreed to extend nearly € 500 million worth of trade benefits to Ukraine, removing custom duties on a wide range of agricultural goods, textiles and other imports.
67) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Five Indian languages were reinstated as official subjects that will be taught in South Africa states schools. 2. The five Indian lanauges which have been reinstated are Hindi, Tamil, Gujarati, Telugu and Urdu.
68) Which of the statements given below are correct? 1. The third Nuclear Security Summit was held in Hague, Netherlands from March 24 to 25, 2014. 2. The summit was attended by 58 world leaders. 3. The United States will host the next summit in 2016.
69) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) passed a changed draft resolution on Sri Lanka during the 25th session held in Geneva on March 27, 2014. 2. The resolution seeks to authorise UNHRC to set-up an independent international inquiry in Sri Lanka to probe into human rights violations during Sri Lakan civil war against LTTE in 2009.
70) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Military government of Fiji declared in Suva, on March 28, 2014, to hold the democratic elections in Fiji on September 17, 2014. 2. This will be the first democratic elections to be held in Fiji since the military coup in 2006.
72) Apart from India, which of the following South Asian countries have been declared polio free by WHO? 1. Bangladesh 2. Nepal 3. Pakistan 4. Bhutan Choose the correct answer from the codes given below:
75) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The UN General Assembly, on March 27, 2014, passed the non-binding resolution that refuses recognition of annexation of Crimean peninsula by Russia from Ukraine. 2. This resolution was supported by 110 countries, opposed by 11 and abstained by 58 (including India) in the 193-nation assembly.
76) Consider the following statements : 1. Japan announced Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan for more than Rs.15000 crore for 5 Indian projects on March 31,2014. 2. This is the largest amount in the history of the ODA loans ever signed in the single occasion. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
77) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. India increased the scholarships for Omani students from 125 to 150 on April 1, 2014. 2. The scholarship were increased under the Indian Technical and Economical Cooperation (ITEC) programme.
79) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Myanmar started its first official census in 30 years on March 30, 2014. 2. The census has been facilitated by United Nations population fund along with its donors, who have contributed $ 65 million.
80) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Iran and Japan signed a Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) for bilateral cooperation on environmental issues.The MoU was signed in Tokyo on April 2, 2014. 2. Under the MoU, the two countries agreed to broaden cooperation in reducing air pollution, dealing with climate change consequences are protecting ponds.
81) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Japan, on April 4, 2014, announced to cancel its next Antarctic Whaling Programme after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) of United Nations (UN) ordered on end to whaling programme of Japan. 2. Japan has decided to cancel research whaling programme in the Antarctic for the fiscal year 2014-15. But Japan will continue its research whaling programme in other areas including the northern Pacific.
82) Consider the following statements and choose the correct answer from the codes given below : 1. Chinese exploration teams on April 7, 2014 drilled a 7 km deep borehole in the resource-rich Himalayan region of Tibet. 2. The drilling aimed to tap the oil and natural gas resources of the region.
83) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. A new law legalising sale of self-testing kits for HIV came into force in United Kingdom (UK) on April 6, 2014. 2. The new law allows individuals to buy the self-testing kits available on shops and self-diagnose for HIV at home itself.
84) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Rwanda, on April 7, 2014, marked the 20th Anniversary of the beginning of devastating 100-day genocide. 2. The Rwandan genocide was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi and moderate Hutu in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority.
85) Consider the following statements and choose the correct answer from the codes given below : 1. Power Grid Corporation of India Limited. (PGCIL) and Power Grid Company of Bangladesh (PGCB) on April 16, 2014 decided to conduct a joint feasibility study for exporting 100 MW power to Bangladesh from gas-fired Palatana power plant in Tripura. 2. Since October, 2013, India exports 500 MW power to Bangladesh through India-Bangladesh Grid Inter connectivity at the Bahrampur- Behramara.
86) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Abdelaziz Bouteflika won the presidential elections for the fourth time consecutively in Algeria on April 18, 2014. 2. He belongs to National Liberation Front Party.
87) Consider the following statements : 1. Russia, Ukraine and West (US and European Union) signed a surprise deal to ease Ukrainian crisis. The deal was signed in Geneva on April 17, 2014. 2. The agreement also called on all sided to avoid from violence, intimidation and provocation and to reject extremism in all sides. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
89) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Indian Railways launched a portal, RAIL SAVER on April 15, 2014 with an aim to improve energy efficiency in Indian Railways. 2. This initiative in form of RAILSAVER that will facilitate railways in saving energy up to 15% by the year 2020.
90) Consider the following statements : 1. Admiral Robin K. Dhowan, on April 17, 2014, took over as the '22nd Chief of Indian Navy. 2. He is a successor of Admiral DK Joshi, who resigned on February 26, 2014, taking moral responsibility of the accident on INS-Sindhuratna in Mumbai. 3. DK Joshi was the first Defence Force Chief to resign, since independence.
91) The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), on April 18, 2014, sought a report from the Health Ministry on the action taken to stop the use of calcium carbide in the country. Calcium carbide is mainly used in
93) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Union government, on April 2, 2014, appointed DK Pathak as the new Director General of the Border Security Force (BSE). 2. R. Gandhi has been appointed as the Deputy Governor of the RBI on April 3, 2014 for a period of three years.
95) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The Supreme Court, on April 1, 2014, directed the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to furnish records related to the inclusion of Jats in Other Backward Class (OBC) category. 2. The 9 states which were permitted to include Jats in OBC list are Bihar, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
96) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The Union Home Ministry, on April 13, 2014, for the first time approved the recruitment of young women as combat officers in Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). 2. It is the second largest border guarding force.
98) Consider the following statements and choose the correct answer from the codes given below : 1. Government of India extended the Tourist Visa-on-Arrival Scheme to the citizens of the South Korea with effect from April 15, 2014. 2. The Visa-on-Arrival Scheme holds validity for maximum of 30 days with single entry facility.
99) Consider the following statements : 1. The World Health Organisation (WHO), on March 27, 2014, certified India as a Polio Free country. 2. This action of WHO made India one of the 11 countries of South-East Region to be free from polio virus. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
100) Following Russia's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea region, NATO suspended all practical civilian and military co-operation with Russia recently. Which of the following nations is NOT a member of the 28-nation military alliance headquartered at Brussels?
102) For the Rio Olympics 2016, the Brazilian authorities have unveiled an infrastructure budget of around USD 10.76 bn which in its local currency will be 24.1 billion. Identify the Brazilian currency?
104) Sonia Gandhi, Narendra Modi and Rahul Gandhi have been named among top 5 in the list of 100 Most Influential Asian People of 2014 published by Asian Awards Ltd recently. Who among the following tops the list?
105) Who among the following has been conferred the Dada saheb Phalke Award for the year 2013 ? He is the 45th winner of the Dada Saheb Phalke Award, conferred by the Govt of India for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema.
110) Which of the following public sector lenders sold Rs.3,500 cr of its non-performing assets (NPAs) to asset reconstruction companies (ARCs) recently? The move came after a push from the Reserve Bank of India in this regard.
111) Which of the following states has been ranked on top among the country's 20 largest states in "Economic Freedom of the States of India" report 2013? The annually published report estimated economic freedom based on data for 2013.
115) The READ (Read-Engage-Achieve-Dream) initiative, aimed at improving the reading skills of primary school children in the country, is launched by agencies of India and which of the following countries recently?
116) Soma Mondal has been appointed the new Director (Commercial) of which of the following Navratna PSUs recently? She is the first woman employee of the company to be elevated to the post of director. 1) Bharat Electronics Limited 2) National Aluminium Company Limited 3) Shipping Corporation of India Limited 41 Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited 5) Oil India Limited ANS:2
125) India has become net exporter of which of the following items in 2013-14 after a gap of six years? The exports of the item by India during the last fiscal stood at 5.59 million tonnes (MT), as against imports of 5.44 MT.
129) The Parliament, in 2010, passed the State Bank of India (Amendment) Bill providing for reduction of govt equity in the bank to what per cent? With the passing of this Bill, decks were cleared for the bank to raise fresh funds from the capital market.
133) The Society for Worldwide Inter bank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) operates a worldwide financial messaging network which exchanges messages between banks and other financial institutions. It is established as a cooperative society under the law of which of the following countries?
136) In a move that aims at encouraging inflows of long-term overseas fund, the capital market regulator Sebi has restricted foreign investors (FIIs and QFIs) from buying govt securities having maturity of less than
137) Every bank in India has to maintain, at the close of business every day, a minimum proportion of their net demand and time liabilities as liquid assets in the form of cash, gold and un-encumbered approved securities. The ratio of liquid assets to demand and time liabilities is known as
151) Which of the following drug makers has announced to acquire Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd for $3.2 bn in the biggest ever Indian pharma deal, creating the world's fifth largest generic drug manufacturer recently?
154) World Health Day is celebrated on 7 Apr every year to mark the anniversary of the founding of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and each year a theme is selected that high lights a priority area of public health. The theme for 2014 is
157) The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the second of the seven satellites planned for Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) recently. Which of the following pairs of countries/groups and their satellite navigation systems is NOT matched correctly?
158) The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the second of the seven satellites planned for Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) recently. (A) Its applications include terrestrial and marine navigation, disaster management, vehicle tracking and fleet management. (B) It is being developed to provide service to users in the country as well as the region extending up to 150 km from its boundary. (C) Two more satellites for IRNSS would be launched before the end of 2014 and, with four satellites in their positions, the IRNSS could start functioning. Which of the above statements is/are correct about IRNSS?
160) Global remittance flows to India witnessed a sharp surge to approx $70 bn in 2013. Which of the following states in India is the top recipient, contributing 33 per cent to the total remittances into the country, as revealed by the World Bank data?
162) In view of deteriorating asset quality of PSBs and their rating downgrades, the RBI has recommended the Centre to reduce its holdings in these banks. Under the Banking Regulation Act, the govt has to hold at least what per cent stake in public sector banks?
165) As per the data available with Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi), Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) have made net inflows of nearly_________in the Indian stocks during fiscal year 2013-14.
169) The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has fined which of the following IT giants Rs.1 cr "for failure to comply with the directions given by the director general (DG) seeking information and documents"?
170) The finance ministry has proposed significant changes to the Direct Taxes Code (DTC) Bill. Which of the following is/are correct in this regard? (A) A 35% tax on those earning more than Rs.10 cr. (B) A company will be liable to tax on indirect transfers if 50% of its global assets are in India. (C) The revised code proposes to replace the Income Tax Act of 1961.
181) Which of the following states has emerged as the number one investment destination in the country with cumulative investment proposals of Rs.14,73,466 cr as on Dec 2013 as shown in an analysis by the industry body Assocham?
184) The Supreme Court has directed Lee Kun-hee to appear before a Ghaziabad court in a USD 1.4 mn cheating case filed against him. He is the present chairman of which of the following leading electronic companies?
188) India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed Prithvi II missile recently. Which of the following is/are true about the missile? (A) It is a nuclear-capable surface-to-surface missile with a range of 350 km. (B) It is the first missile to be developed by DRDO under the country's prestigious Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme. (C) It is thrust by liquid-propulsion twin engines and uses advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring trajectory.