International Workers' Day, also known as Labour Day, is a celebration of labourers and the working classes that is promoted by the international labour movement and and occurs every year on May 1, or May Day.
Therefore, while May 1 is a national public holiday in more than 80 countries, in only some of those countries is it celebrated as " Labour Day" or "International Workers, Day".
MAY 3 : World Press Freedom Day
The United Nations General Assembly declared May 3 to be 'World Press Freedom Day' or 'World Press Day' to raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press.
MAY 3 : World Asthma Day
First Tuesday of May is celebrated as 'World Asthama Day'. The theme for 2013 is You can Control Your Asthama and the sub-theme for the year introduced by GINA is It's Time to Control Asthama.
MAY 8 : Red Cross Day
World Red Cross Day is an annual celebration, which is celebrated, on May 8 every year. This date is the anniversary of birth of Henry Dunant, the founder of International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC). He was also the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize.
MAY 8 : Day of Remembrance for Victims of World War II
On 22nd November 2004, the UN declared May 8-9th as a 'Time of Remembrance and Reconciliation for Those Who Lost Their Lives during the Second World War'. These dates were chosen because May 8th is the anniversary of the date when the World War II Allies accepted the unconditional surrender of the armed forces of Germany, which marked the end of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich.
MAY 10-11 : World Migratory Bird Day
World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was observed across the world on May 10-11,2014. The theme of the WMBD 2014 was Destination Flyways : Migratory Birds and Tourism. The day was celebrated by the UN World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) to promote their new Destination Flyways Project.
MAY 11 : National Technology Day
This day is celebrated every year to remember the nuclear tests (Operation Shakti or Pokran-II) held in Pokran, Rajasthan on May 11,1998. It was the second nuclear test since the first test, code-named Smiling Buddha (Pokran-I).
MAY 12 : International Nurses Day
The day is observed every year on the May 12, on anniversary of birth of Florence Nightingale. The day is observed to mark contributions of nurses towards people's health. The theme for 2014 is Nurses : A Force for Change - A vital resource for health.
MAY 15 : International Day of Families
Our family is our world, and it is said that families hold the world together. Yet, as the world and society change, the structure and stability of the family unit in many places has been affected. Therefore, in 1993, the UN declared the May 15th shall be observed every year as the International Day of Families, to highlight the importance of family as the basic unit on which the wellbeing of society depends. The International Day of Families has inspired a series of awareness praising events, including national family days.
MAY 17 : World Telecommunication & Information Society Day
It is celebrated every year to raise awareness about the positives of Information & Communication Technologies (ICTs) among .
MAY 18 : World Museum Day
It is a celebration that held every year on or around May 18, coordinated by the International Council of Museums (ICoM). Theme of 2013 is Museums (Memory + Creativity= Social Change). It was created in 1977.
MAY 19 : Bsha Shahid Diwas (India)
Bhasha Shahid Diwas or Language Martyrs Day is observed in the Bengal is dominated Barack Valley area of Assam remembrance of the incident that happens on 19 May 1961. In the incident, eleven youth including one woman laid their lives down in police firing at the Silchar railways station.
MAY 21 : World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue & Development
The UNESCO adopted the Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity in 2001, and in December,2002, the UN General Assembly declared May 21, as the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development.
MAY 21 : Anti Terrorism Day
The Day is observed to generate awareness in the country among all sections of people, about the danger of terrorism and violence and its effect on the people, society and the country as a whole.
MAY 22 : International Day for Biological Diversity
To increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues, the UN has proclaimed May 22nd as the International Day for Biological Diversity. In 2014, the theme will be Island Biodiversity.
MAY 23: World Turtle Day
The day is observed to bring human attention toward turtle and tortoise and also to encourage human efforts to help them survive. American Tortoise Rescue (ATR) started observing the World Turtle Day in 1990 and since then, the world is observing the day, annually.
MAY 29 : International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
Peacekeeping is one of the activities undertaken by the United Nations to maintain international peace and security. The United Nations Peacekeeping Forces are employed by the organisation to maintain, or reestablish peace in an area of armed conflict. There are currently 16 UN peacekeeping operations spread across four continents, and the UN has proclaimed May 29th as the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers.
MAY 30 : Goa Day (India)
Goa observed Goa Day and this was the 27 the Statehood Day. Goa became 25th State of the Indian Union on May 30, 1987. From 1510, it was a Portuguese territory of the Empire and remained under their control even after independence of India in 1947. After independence, India insisted that Portuguese should handover Goa and few others holdings to India, which was refused by Portugal.
MAY 31 : World No-Tobacco Day
It has been proved that cigarettes and all other forms of tobacco are harmful to our health. In fact, it has been estimated that the use of tobacco leads to 5.4 million deaths in the world, every year. In 1987, the World Health Organisation proclaimed May 31st as World No-Tobacco Day.
1) According to an estimate of a RBI panel, public sector banks (PSBs), as they migrate to the capital-intensive Basel-III framework, will require about what amount in core capital by Mar 2018?
2) The RBI governor has announced that the central bank is planning to issue bank licences with restrictions and encourage payment banks. As he mentioned, what will be the function(s) of payment banks? These banks ........
4) Which of the following pairs of states and their best practices is NOT matched correctly as mentioned in the report prepared by consultancy firm Accenture on behalf of Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP)?
(1) Best land acquisition model in the country-Gujarat
(2) Integrated and comprehensive system for VAT -Karnataka
(3) Labour management solution - Maharashtra
(4) Single window clearance - Rajasthan and Punjab
(5) None of these
5) The Prime Minister of which of the following countries called for a new interpretation of the constitution recently? The country's constitution bans acts of war and the threat or use of force to settle international disputes.
12) The Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti (BMVSS), an Indian NGO manufacturing the world famous Jaipur Foot, signed an agreement with which of the following countries to supply artificial limbs to some 1000 people free of cost recently?
23) The Indian consulate was attacked by heavily armed gunmen in which of the -following provinces of Afghanistan recently? The attack was rebutted by the security personnel and all the Indian staff remain unhurt.
34) The Reserve Bank eased gold import norms recently. Earlier, the central bank had prescribed a formula under which at least what per cent of every lot of imported gold had to be exclusively used for exports?
44) Which of the following countries have agreed to join hands on an initiative for Kanchenjunga trans-boundary landscape to address biodiversity conservation in a sustainable way in the Himalayan region?
54) Telecom tribunal TDSAT upheld the plea to provide 3G intra-circle roaming services and quashed the cumulative penalty of Rs.1,200 cr imposed on which of the following three telecom companies recently?
62) Which of the following stock exchanges ceased to exist from May 30 after it failed to adhere to several new regulatory requirements outlined by market regulator Sebi? It was a 76-year-old stock exchange.
64) The govt has decided to continue with the export subsidy on raw sugar shipments for the Apr-May period. In order to help the cash-starved industry to pay arrears to sugarcane farmers, the govt had approved the incentive for two years at
(1) It brings in latest technology in the country.
(2) It generates huge employment opportunities.
(3) It improves international ties of the govt.
(4) It stays in the country for at least five years.
(5) None Of these
68) DRDO successfully test-fired India's first indigenously developed Astra missile recently. Which of the following statements is/are correct about the missile? (A) It is an air-to-air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile. (B) Designed and developed by DRDO, it possesses high Single Shot Kill Probability (SSKP), making it highly reliable. (C) It is an all-weather missile with active radar terminal guidance and smokeless propulsion.
69) The RBI panel on credit information submitted its report recently with recommendations like providing a free copy of their credit profile to customers. The panel was headed by who among the following?
77) Suzlon Energy Ltd, the world's fifth largest wind turbine maker, announced a cashless restructuring of its existing FCCBs worth $485 mn after it failed to repay $209 mn of debt recently. Expand the term FCCB.
78) The RBI is all set to launch one billion plastic notes of Rs.10 denomination in a field trial in five cities selected for their geographical and climatic diversity. Which of the following cities is NOT among them?
79) Which of the following Indian firms leads the list of 54 Indian companies included in the recent Forbes 'Global 2000' list of the world's largest and most powerful public companies measured by revenues, profits, assets and market value?
80) A major field exercise by the Army, code named 'Sarvada Vijay', was conducted in which of the following states recently? The overall aim of the exercise is to practise conventional cross-border thrusts into enemy territory.
(1) India has the tenth largest forest coverage in the world.
(2) It is the world's fifth largest carbon emitter.
(3) It accounts for 5 per cent of global greenhouse gases.
(4) All the above
(5) Only 1) and 3)
94) The National Pension System (NPS) made news recently when HDFC Life was disqualified to be one of the NPS managers. Which of the following is/are correct about NPS? (A) It is a contributory pension scheme launched by the Centre in Jan 2004. (B) It was made compulsory for all new govt employees. (C) It is not available for the private sector yet.
97) In what could be a first for the country's iron-ore sector, which of the following state govts is preparing an action plan to auction iron-ore mines to end-users? It has proposed to put 15 of its 51 Category-C mines on the block.
107) According to the 13th edition of the Global Information Technology Report 2014, which of the following countries tops in terms of leveraging information and communication technology (ICT) for growth and well being?
109) Afghanistan started using its first-ever satellite, AFGHANSAT 1, recently, which will support broadcasting, mobile telephony and IP connectivity in the country. This satellite has been leased from which of the following agencies?
110) The RBI said that banks will not be permitted to charge foreclosure charges or pre-payment penalties on all floating rate term loans sanctioned to individual borrowers, with immediate effect. Floating loan products include
119) Which of the following states was adjudged to have the best land acquisition model in the country in the report prepared by consultancy firm Accenture on behalf of the Department Of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) recently?
120) The provisions of the new Companies Act mandates all non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) for creation of a debenture-redemption reserve (DRR) equivalent to__________of debentures or bonds over the repayment term.
125) Which of the following countries has recently announced to make match-fixing a specific crime for the first time to ensure sport remains corruption-free? The country is preparing to co-host 2015 ICC World Cup.
126) The United Nations and which of the following international sports bodies signed a historic agreement recently with the objectives of using the power of sports to promote peace and economic development across the world?
128) According to the latest National Sample Survey data, which of the following states topped in creation of new jobs in the manufacturing sector among all states during the six years between 2004 and 2011?
140) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Turkish investigative journalist Ahmet Sik won the UNESCO Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize-2014. 2. The award was created by UNESCO's Executive Board in 2000.
144) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The 'Fatah' and 'Hamas', on April 23, 2014, signed a reconciliation agreement to end their difference and form a Palestinian Unity government in Gaza strip. 2. The agreement calls for activating and developing the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) so as to allow Hamas and other Palestinian groups to join the institutions of organisation. 3. Israel suspended the peace talks with the Palestinians, on April 24, 2014, due to the reconciliation agreement between Fatah and Hamas.
145) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Novak Djokovic won the men's singles title at the Italian Open-2014 I held in Rome on May 18, 2014. 2. This was the third Italian Open title won the Novak Djokovic.
146) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India, on May 12,2014, conferred on National Florence Nightingale Awards-2014 to 35 nursing personnel from across the country for their meritorious services. 2. The award is conferred every year on May 12 as the world on this day observes 'International Nurses Day'.
148) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Hockey India, on April 19, 2014, appointed former senior coach Harendra Singh as the coach of the junior men's team. 2. The appointment was confirmed to groom the team for the 2016 Hockey World Cup. 3. The 2016 Hockey World Cup will be held in Australia.
150) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Sir Jack Brabham, the three-time Formula-One world champion, died on May 19, 2014. 2. He won the Formula-One titles in 1959, 1960 and 1966. 3. In 1966, he won the Formula-One title in his own car named 'Brabham', which was built by him.
152) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. India, on April 25,2014, launched an educational outreach programme in Pretoria, South Africa under which unemployed South African youths can benefit themselves from internships in India. 2. This programme has been launched under a partnership between Siva Sivani Institute of Management of Hyderabad and Ubuntu Institute of South Africa.
153) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Dipika Pallikal has been ranked number-ten in Women's Squash Association (WSA) rankings released on May 1, 2014. 2. She entered the top 10 ranks after winning the Texas Open-2014.
154) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. India and Bhutan signed an agreement for the development of hydro-power projects in Thimphu, Bhutan on April 22, 2014, 2. This agreement provides framework for implementing four Hydro Electric Projects (HEP) totaling 2120 MW on a joint venture model between Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) of India and Bhutan.
159) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Indian-American Chef, Vikram Sunderam won the prestigious James Beard Awards-2014. 2. The James Beard Food Awards are considered as the top honours in American cooking.
160) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Indian squash player Saurav Ghosal won Dato Alex Lee Award-2013 on April 24, 2014. 2. He was selected for the award by the Asian Squash Federation (ASF) for being the outstanding Asian Men's Player of the Year-2013.
162) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Luis Suarez, the Uruguayan Striker of Liverpool, has been named as the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year at an award ceremony on April 28, 2014 in London. 2. Suarez is the first non-European to receive this honour.
163) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The world's first electric plane named 'E-Fan' on May 9, 2014 successfully completed its first flight. 2. It was manufactured by Toulouse-based 'Airbus'. 3. It is powered by 120 lithium-ion polymer batteries and can fly with speed of 220 km/h.
164) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The United Nations (UN) and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) signed an agreement on April 28, 2014 to use the power of sports to promote peace and economic development. 2. The UN granted an observer status to the IOC in 2009 and this agreement means that now the IOC would work with the UN Secretariat on a range of projects around the world.
165) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The scientists, on May 8, 2014, created the first realistic virtual universe using a computer simulation called 'Illustris'. 2. Illustris tracked the development of the universe from 12 million years after the Big Bang up to the present and identified more than 41000 galaxies in a stimulated space 350 million light years on each side.
166) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Mark Selby of England won the World Snooker Championship-2014 in Sheffield, England on May 6, 2014. 2. With this win. he become ranked number one in the snooker.
170) Consider the following statements about Madrid Open 2014 and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Rafael Nadal won the men's singles title at the Madrid Open 2014. 2. With this win, Nadal (Spam) became the first player to win four Madrid Open Tennis Titles. 3. Maria Sharapova won the women's singles title at the Madrid 2014.
171) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The All India Football Federation (AIFF), on April 22,2014, launched the AIFF Academy Certification in New Delhi. 2. This certification has been launched with an aim to set a standard of youth development in the country, throughout certification model.
172) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Serena Williams (US) won the women's singles title at Italian Open-2014 on May 18, 2014. 2. This was the third Italian Open title won by Serena Williams. 3. For the first time, she won the Italian Open in 2004.
173) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. New element, which is temporarily called 'Ununseptium' with 117 protons, set to join Periodic Table. 2. Ununseptium was produced by accelerating ions of calcium into a target of berkelium.........
177) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The scientists of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), on April 17, 2014, designed the world's first floating nuclear plants. 2. The concept of floating nuclear plant was based on two technologies, one is light-water nuclear reactors and the other is offshore oil and gas drilling platforms.
179) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. First indigenously developed air-to-air missile, 'Astra', successfully test-fired, on May 4, 2014, from a Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter jet over the Arabian sea off Goa. 2. Astra is India's first Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air-to-air missile. It was designed and developed indigenously by the DRDO.
181) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The RBI, on May 9, 2014, barred Indian companies from raising the External Commercial Borrowings (ECBs) from overseas branches and subsidiaries of Indian banks for refinance or repayment of the Rupee loans raised from domestic banking system. 2. The direction of the RBI was issued under Section-10(4) and ll(l) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1992 (42 of 1999).
182) With respect to US Energy Information Administration (EIA) Energy Outlook-2014, which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. India will become the world's third largest oil consumer by 2025. 2. India's oil consumption growth rate will be the highest in the world with a 3% compounded annual growth rate from 2012 to 2040.
183) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. State-run aerospace firm Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), on May 1, 2014, handed over a Dornier light-weight aircraft to the DRDO. 2. The aircraft named as Nabratna signifying a jewel in the sky.
185) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Raghuram Rajan, the Governor of the RBI, on May 15, 2014 announced that plastic currency notes will be launched in 2015 after field trials. 2. The introduction of plastic currency notes would help stop counterfeiting of Indian rupees as they are difficult to imitate. 3. Modern plastic currency notes were first developed by the Reserve Bank of Australia in the year 2000.
186) Consider the following statements about Akash missile: 1. India, on May 2, 2014, successfully test-fired indigenously-developed surface-to-air Akash missile from the Launch CompIex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur. 2. This missile has a strike range of 25 km and has a capability to carry warhead of 60 kg. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
187) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The scientists have engineered a bacterium whose genetic material includes an added pair of DNA letters or bases that is not found in the nature. 2. This bacterium has been engineered by scientists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI).
188) Which of the statements given below is/are correrct? 1. A unique enzyme Super Oxide Dismutase (SOD) was discovered by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). 2. The enzyme will help to increase the shelf life of fruits and vegetables.
191) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. India, on April 27, 2014, test-fired on exo-atmospheric interceptor missile, called 'Prithvi Defence Vehicle' with capability to neutralise any long-range missile at higher altitude. 2. It has a range of 120 km.
193) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Pakistan conducted a successful test launch of short range surface-to-surface ballistic missile, Hatf-III (Ghaznavi) on April 22, 2014. 2. The missile can carry nuclear and conventional warheads up to a range of 290 km.
195) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Vice-President of Panama, Juan Carlos Varela, on May 4, 2014, won the presidential election. 2. Panama is situated on the isthmus connecting North and South America.
201) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. President of India, on May 8, 2014, launched Rupay, indigenous card payment system, at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi. 2. Rupay is the coinage of two terms 'Rupee' and 'Payment'. 3. Rupay is the seventh card payment system in the world after Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover, Diners Club and JCB.
202) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Imperial War Museum of the United Kingdom on May 11, 2014 launched an ambitious online database of the World War-1. 2. The website was launched to mark the 100th anniversary of World War-I.
203) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Slovakia and Ukraine signed a Framework Interconnection Agreement on gas supply on April 28, 2014, 2. As per the agreement, the gas will be supplied to Ukraine through disused Vojany pipeline at Velke Kapusany, Slovakia. The pipeline is capable of supplying 8 billion cubic metres (bcm) of gas to Ukraine in a year.
206) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Namibian government, on April 30, 2014, purchased 3400 India-made Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for use in the Presidential Election, scheduled in November, 2014. 2. With this, Namibia became the first African country that will use such machines in any of its polls.
207) With respect to South African General Election-2014, which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. African National Congress (ANC) won the national elections of South Africa for the 5th successive term. 2. This was the 5th national elections held in South Africa after apartheid ended in 1994. 3. Jacob Zuma is the 4th President of South Africa.
208) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Vietnam, on May 6, 2014, accused China to place on oil rig near Paracel islands. 2. The Paracel islands is a group of islands in the South China sea whose sovereignty is disputed by the people's Republic of China and Vietnam.
210) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The five nuclear powers and UN Security Council members (United States, Russia, China, Britain and France), on May 6, 2014, signed a new protocol on existing Central, Asian Nuclear Weapon Free Zone (CANWFZ) Treaty in New York. 2. The agenda of signing the protocol was creation of a nuclear free zone in five Central Asian countries namely Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
211) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The Supreme Court of India, on April 29, 2014, appointed Michael Hudson McHugh as the third arbitrator to resolve the dispute between the Central government and Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries Limited (RH.) on KG basin. 2. Inspector General K. Natarajan, on May 5, 2014, took over as the 21st commander of the Coast Guard Region (Andaman-Nicobar Islands).
212) Who among the following is the chairman of the committee appointed by Supreme Court to monitor the steps taken by the Centre and State governments to ensure road safety and curb growing number of accidents?
213) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on April 23, 2014 decided to allow the use of Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs) including cellphones during flights. 2. DGCA amended CAR Section-5 Series X Part-I relating to air safety.
214) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Ashwin B. Pandya, on May 15, 2014, has been appointed as the Chairman of the Central Water Commission and Ex-officio Secretary of the government of India. 2. Justice BS Chauhan has been appointed as the Chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT) on May 14, 2014.
215) Which among the following countries is/are part of Central Asia and South Asia (CASA)-1000 power supply project? 1. India 2. Tajikistan 3. Pakistan 4. Afghanistan 5. Kyrgyz Republic Choose the correct answer from the codes given below
217) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. London, on April 29, 2014, got its domain name . london for the first time. 2. Domain name of London will join the club of Germany and Austria as. berlin and. wien in Austria.
218) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The Union Cabinet,on Mayl,2014, cleared the proposal for constituting the Polavaram Project Authority (PPA) for the execution of the Polavaram irrigation project. 2. The Constitution of the centrally-funded PPA and its governing body was in accordance with the Section-90 of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
219) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative Limited (IFFCO), India's leading fertilizer cooperative, got permission from the Quebec provincial government on April 19, 2014 to set-up a $ 1.6 billion urea plant 2. IFFCO was registered as multi-unit cooperative society in 1967.
220) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Supreme Court, on April 21-, 2014, lifted a 19-month old ban on mining in Goa. The ban was imposed in September", 2012 as part of a drive to curb illegal mining in Goa. 2. The ban was lifted on the recommendation of a panel appointed by the Supreme Court under Justice MB Shah to look into the mining industry.
222) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The RBI, on May 6, 2014, issued the guidelines to allow the minors of age above 10 years to independently open and operate saving bank accounts and use other facilities like ATM and cheque books. 2. The RBI took this initiative to promote the objective of financial inclusion and also to bring uniformity among banks in opening and operating minors' accounts.
223) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The scientists have discovered a new mineral 'Putnisite' in Western Australia that is unique in structure and composition among the world's 4000 known mineral species. 2. The new mineral is named 'Putnisite' after Dr.Christine Putnis and Dr. Andrew Putnis from the university of Munster. Germany, for their outstanding contributions to mineralogy.
226) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. The Election Queue Management System, a first of its kind initiative was introduced in India. It was introduced by the District Election Authority in Burdwan district, West Bengal during Lok Sabha election held on April 30, 2014 2. This system helped voters to find out the level of crowd in the polling booths in Burdwan district.
227) Which among the following IITs has been ranked at the 87th position among the top 100 world universities under 50 years of age, published by London-based Times Higher Education magazine on April 30, 2014?
228) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee, on May 12, 2014, gave his assent to the Whistleblowers Protection Bill, 2011. With this the Whistleblowers Bill, 2011 became Whistleblowers Protection Act, 2011. 2. The Bill carries provisions for setting-up regular mechanism to encourage persons to disclose information on corruption or willful misuse of power by public servants, which includes Ministers.
229) With respect to Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LITE), which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Union Home Ministry, on May 14, 2014, extended the ban imposed on the LITE in India for five more years. 2. The LITE was a separatist militant organisation based in northern part of Sri Lanka and was founded in 1976 by Velupillai Prabhakaran.
230) With regard to Lok Sabha Election-2014, which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. It was the 16th Lok Sabha Election of India, held in nine phases from April 7 to May 12, 2014. 2. The BJP itself won 282 seats, the first time since 1984 that an Indian party has won enough seats to form the government without the support of other parties. 3. NOTA option was used for the first time. India is the 12th country to use NOTA. 4. Narendra Modi is the 14th Prime Minister of India.