On 9th August 1942, the Indian masses, led by Mahatma Gandhi, raised their voices to demand that the British quit India in a cry that the British quit India, and it was a turning point in the freedom struggle. Almost all the prominent leaders were arrested on the day the Movement began- but it refused to be held back, and only gathered momentum. August 9 the is observed as Quit India Day every year, to honour all those who took part in the freedom struggle, to free their motherland from the bonds of foreign rule.
AUGUST 12 :International Youth Day
International Youth Day was first celebrated on 12 the August 2000. Since then, it has been celebrated each year to recognise efforts of the world's youth in enhancing global society. It also aims to promote ways to engage them in becoming more actively involved in making positive contributions to their communities. International Youth Day is an important step taken by the UN to shape young people as a positive force for the wellbeing of society.
AUGUST 12 : World Elephant Day
It is an international annual event and is dedicated towards the preservation and protection of the world's elephants. The inaugural World Elephant Day was observed on August 12, 2012 and the day was declared by the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation in Thailand.
AUGUST 15 : Independence Day
On August 15 the 1947, the British flag was brought down from the Red Fort at Delhi, and for the very first time, India's National Flag flew proudly in its place, proclaiming India's freedom from British rule. Since then this day, August 15 the, is celebrated every year as Independence Day in India.
AUGUST 19 : World Humanitarian Day
The day is observed to recognise humanitarian personnel and those who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes. The theme for the year 2014 is The World Needs More Humanitarian Heroes.
AUGUST 19 :World Photography Day
World Photography Day is celebrated on August 19 the every year, to celebrate photography - its past, present, and future. On this day, the first global online gallery was launched, with 270 photographs shared, and website visitors from over 100 countries.
AUGUST 29 : International Day against Nuclear Tests
Nuclear weapons are considered to be a sign of a country's scientific sophistication and military might. However, the testing of these devices can have very harmful effects on people and the environment.
The first nuclear device was tested on 16 the July, 1945, and since then, thousands of tests have taken place. The United Nations therefore, decided to declare 29 th August as the International Day Against Nuclear Tests, with the purpose of informing and educating people on the importance of a ban on nuclear weapons testing, in order to make the world safer and more secure.
AUGUST 29 : National Sports Day
This day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of hockey legend Dhyan Chand. This day is celebrated by organizing friendly matches between different Indian hockey teams at the Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi.
1) M Thambidurai was unanimously elected as the deputy speaker of the Lok Sabha recently. He is a leader of which of the following political parties?
3) In which of the following states has the state assembly unanimously passed a bill according to which enforcing the dress code and banning entry of persons wearing dhoti in public places will be a cognisable offense punishable with jail term?
4) The CBI is soon to file charge sheet in Aircel-Maxis deal involving a former telecom minister. Name the former telecom minister who allegedly forced promoter C Sivasankaran to sell the stake in Aircel to Malaysian firm Maxis Group in 2006.
5) What was the highest-denomination note ever printed by the Reserve Bank of India? The banknotes of this denomination were printed in 1938 and again in 1954 and were demonetized in 1946 and again in 1978.
11) Which of the following countries will try to insert its spacecraft into the Martian orbit on Sep 24,2014 and, if successful, will be the first Asian country to orbit a spacecraft around planet Mars?
13) The Shipping, Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has given green signal to the redevelopment project of the Sassoon Docks. This historic dock is located in which of the following cities?
14) The RBI issued Mahatma Gandhi series (MG series) 2005 banknotes in different denominations which have the year of printing on the reverse of the notes. Which of the following is NOT a denomination in which MG Series 2005 notes were issued?
15) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allows what rate of interest on Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR), the specified minimum fraction of the total deposits of customers which commercial banks have to hold as reserves with the central bank?
16) 154. Priority sector refers to those sectors of the economy which may not get timely and adequate credit in the absence of special dispensation. Which of the following categories does not come under the priority sector lending?
20) Dutee Chand was disqualified from the 2014 Commonwealth Games after failing a gender test that showed that her testosterone levels were above the range considered "normal" for female athletes. She is a professional
24) Manik Sarkarhas urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi for further improvement in relations with Bangladesh for better connectivity and development of the North-East region. He is the present Chief Minister of which of the following states?
26) The Centre has urged all the states to provide 33 per cent reservation for women in their police forces to effectively deal with cases of sexual violence and crime against women. Which of the following states is the first to do so?
28) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has registered a preliminary enquiry against Kingfisher Airlines and which of the following banks in connection with the Rs.900 cr that the bank had given as a loan to the Airlines?
31) The market regulator SEBI has cleared REIT, InvIT norms to tap Rs.1-tn fund inflows from foreign and domestic investors. While REIT stands for Real Estate Investment Trust, what does InvIT stand for?
36) Islamist militants forced thousands of members of the Yazidi religious minority to flee and have reportedly killed at least 500 people of the community in which of the following countries recently?
40) A committee formed to look into the possibilities of bringing changes in pattern of civil services examination among others submitted its report to the govt recently. Who among the following headed the Committee?
42) Which of the following countries has topped the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2014? The Gil is jointly published by Cornell University, INSEAD, and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) for 143 economies around the world.
56) The Reserve Bank of India has notified that home loans up to.................in metres and........in non metros, given by banks from the proceeds of longterm bonds (of minimum 7 yrs maturity), will qualify as affordable housing loans.
69) In the recent bimonthly policy review, the RBI governor Raghuram Rajan stressed on needs to contain inflation. Which of the following is NOT a measure to control inflation adopted by the govt and/or the RBI?
72) An ultra mega solar power project is to be set up in Sambhar, Rajasthan for which an MoU has been signed recently. What will be the cumulative capacity of the plant which will be achieved in phases?
77) The govt asked UN Military Observer Group to vacate rent-free office in Delhi recently. This UN body has been overseeing India's military activity in which of the following regions for last 40 years?
84) A Credit Guarantee Trust Fund has been set up for guaranteeing collateral-free credit facilities by lending to small-scale industries. This fund is being managed by which of the following institutions?
90) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested the Vice Chairman Neeraj Singhal and CFO Arun Agarwal of which of the following firms for allegedly bribing Syndicate Bank CMD seeking favourable loan terms?
92) Under the proposed financial inclusion drive, Sampoorn Viltiya Samaveshan, the govt has decided to use which of the following for last-mile authentication of beneficiaries to withdraw money in its welfare schemes?
98) The govt approved sale of what quantity of wheat from FCI stock in the open market in order to boost domestic supply and check prices? The reserve price has been fixed at Rs.1,500 per quintal plus other charges.
102) The 3000-M W hydropower project which has recently been rejected by the statutory green panel on the ground that it involves diversion of biodiversity-rich forest land and felling of trees, is proposed in the state of
105) The B20 Australia Summit was held in which of the following cities on 18 Jul? It is a forum through which the private sector produces policy recommendations for the annual meeting of the Group of 20 (G20) leaders.
109) The 18th BASIC Ministerial Meeting was held in which of the following cities recently? The Environment Ministers of BASIC countries met to discuss important issues relating to current United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations.
115) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) acts as 'Banker to Govt'. At present all the public sector banks and three private sector banks act as RBPs agents to discharge its statutory obligation to Centre as well as States. Which of the following private sector banks is NOT among them?
117) The international channel of the state broadcaster Doordarshan is all set to become available to viewers in Europe, Africa and even Australia. This will become possible after Prasar Bharati has entered into an agreement in that regard with
123) Nigeria and three other countries have pledged to speed up the creation of a 2,800-strong regional force to tackle militant Islamist group Boko Haram. Which of the following countries is NOT among them?
124) Subarna rekha Multipurpose Project (SMP) was started with a purpose to reduce losses due to flood in 1962 and for the distribution of land among the affected people. The states included in the project are
130) In an ambitious initiative, the NDA government has mooted a proposal to merge two financial institutions 'Bharatiya Manila Bank' and 'Rashtriya Mahila Kosh' aimed at empowering women. The Rashtriya Mahila Kosh (RMK) was set-up-in 1993 under the Women and Child Welfare Ministry with an initial corpus of
138) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), on July 14, 2014, cancelled the licence of the Vasai Cooperative Urban Bank Limited, Hyderabad (Telangana). 2. The Vasai Cooperative Urban Bank Limited Hyderabad (Telengana) was granted the licence on July 13,1982. Codes
139) Consider the following statements about Ebola virus : 1. Fruit bats are believed to carry and spread the virus without being affected. 2. Ebola virus is naturally transmitted through the air. 3. The symptoms of an Ebola infection include headache, fever, muscle ache and sore throat. 4. ZMapp drug has been approved by WHO to target Ebola virus. Which of the statements given above are correct?
140) Consider the following statements about Ebola virus : 1. Fruit bats are believed to carry and spread the virus without being affected. 2. Ebola virus is naturally transmitted through the air. 3. The symptoms of an Ebola infection include headache, fever, muscle ache and sore throat. 4. ZMapp drug has been approved by WHO to target Ebola virus. Which of the statements given above are correct?
141) The RBI, on July 25, 2014, penalised 12 banks with a money sum of Rs. 1.5 crore in Deccan Chronicle Holdings Limited case. The penalties were imposed by RBI in exercise of the powers vested in the RBI under the provisions of Section-46 (4) (i) of Banking Regulation Act
143) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Container Corporation of India Limited (CONCOR), on July 23, 2014, was accorded Navratna status by the Department of Public Enterprises under Union Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises. 2. CONCOR is the 17th Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) to achieve Navratna status. Codes
145) With regard to FDI, consider the following statements : 1. Union Cabinet, on August 6, 2014, raised the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) limit in defence sector from 26% to 49%. 2. The FDI ceiling in the sensitive defence sector was hiked with the condition that control in joint ventures for manufacturing of defence equipment will remain in Indian hands. Codes
146) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), on August 7, 2014, issued draft guidelines for implementation of Bharat Bill Payment System (BPPS), an anytime anywhere bill payment system. 2. It is intended for the implementation of a unified bill payment system across the country. Codes
147) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statement (s) from the codes given below : 1. Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), on August 11, 2014, issued SEBI KYC (Know Your Client) Registration Agency (Second Amendment) Regulations 2014. 2. SEBI by exercising the power conferred to it by Section-30 of the SEBI Act, 1992 amended the SEBI KYC Registration Agency Regulations 2011. Codes
148) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. NASA, on July 31, 2014, announced that it will send a new rover to Mars in 2020 named as 'Mars 2020 Rover mission'. 2. This mission will attempt to determine the potential habitability of the Mars environment and directly search for signs of ancient Martian life. Codes
149) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Union government, on August 14, 2014, re-launched the Varistha Pension Bima Yojana (VPBY) for the benefit of citizens aged 60 years and above. 2. The scheme will be administered by the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC). Codes
150) Which of the statements given below is/are correct? 1. India has been ranked at 143rd position in the Global Peace Index 2014. 2. Iceland, Denmark and Australia were ranked first, second and third respectively in the Global Peace Index 2014.
154) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1, China, on August 12, 2014, has launched Yaogan XX satellite on the back of a Long March 4C Carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in the country's North-Western Gobi desert. 2. This launch marked the 190th mission for the China's Long March rocket family. Codes
155) According to United Nations Report 2014. India has , the sixth highest prevalence of child marriage in the world with, one in every three child bride living in India. As per report, the country with the highest rates of child marriage is
157) Indian Air Force, on July 28, 2014, received its sixth C-17 Globemaster III aircraft at Palam Airbase in New Delhi. The first Boeing C-17 Globemaster III aircraft was received by India in which year?
163) Rosetta, on August 6, 2014, became first ever spacecraft to reach a Comet named 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko that was discovered in 1969. It reached the comet after a journey of 10 years, five months and four days through deep space. Rosetta was launched in the year 2014 by
165) Mapp Biopharmaceuticals made available the drug 'Zmapp' to treat Ebola. The drug has been dubbed as secret serum and is a cocktail of drugs produced by Mapp Biopharmaceuticals and Canadian company Defyrus. The company 'Mapp Biopharmaceuticals' belongs to which country?
167) With regard to Commonwealth Games 2014, consider the following statements : 1. India has finished fifth position in the 2014 Commonwealth Games with 64 medals. 2. 71 nations were participated in the Games. 3. England finished top of the medals tally for the first time since the 1986 Commonwealth Games. Which of the statements given above are correct?
168) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Prasar Bharati, India's public service broadcaster, on August 5, 2014, signed an MoU with Deutsche Welle, the German public service broadcaster, for distribution of Doordaishan's overseas Indian channel, DD India on a DTH platform. 2. The agreement between the two public sector broadcasters would help in coverage of DD India across Europe, Asia. North Africa and even up to Australia. Codes
170) As per the report 2014, India has been ranked fifth amongst top ten wind power producers in the world by adding 1700 MW capacity in 2013. According to the report, the world's top three wind power producing countries are
171) Which country, on August 1, 2014, approved a Bill to provide help of $ 225 million to Israel for repairing Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile defence system, which was damaged during its ongoing war with Gaza?
172) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Hockey India, on August 21, 2014, added Hockey Madhya Pradesh as its 23rd associate member. 2. Hockey Madhya Pradesh (HMP) before additon to Hockey India was formerly known as the Madhya Pradesh Hockey Association (MPHA). Codes
173) The United Nations Security Council (UNSC), on July 21, 2014, adopted a resolution demanding an international probe into the shooting down of Malaysian airplane......in Eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014.
174) Which country, on August 6, 2014, inaugurated the work on a new Suez canal alongside the 145 years old historic Suez canal? The total estimated cost of digging the new waterway would be around $ 4 billion.
175) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below ; 1. Jammu-Kashmir will host the Federation Cup 2015. 2. The Football Federation Cup was started in the year 2000. Codes
176) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statement (s) from the codes given below : 1. Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, on August 6, 2014, declared a state of emergency over the outbreak of Ebola virus'. 2. Ebola crisis in Liberia got worse because many people are keeping sick relatives at home instead of taking them to isolation centres. Codes
177) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Roger Federer of Switzerland won the men's singles title of Cincinnati Open 2014 after defeating David Ferrer of Spain. 2. Serena Williams of US won the women's singles title of the Cincinnati Open 2014 after defeating Ana Ivanovic of Serbia. Codes
178) Which country, on August 1, 2014, amended Federal Act on International Administrative Assistance in Tax Matters and made key changes in its local laws on information exchange with foreign countries?
179) Consider the following statements : 1. Three-time Olympian and former Hockey Captain Ajitpal Singh was selected as the Chairman of the Dronacharya Award Selection Committee on August 7, 2014. tspersons and three officials. In 2013, the Dronacharya Award Selection Committee was headed by mountaineer HPS Ahluwalia. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
180) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statement (s) from the codes given below : 1. United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC), on August 12, 2014, appointed three member to its Commission of Inquiry to probe possible war crimes and human rights violations during a month long conflict in Gaza. 2. The Commission will be headed by William Schabas. a Canadian international criminal law and human rights professor at Middlesex University in London. Codes
182) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. India and Czech Republic, on August 19, 2014, signed a Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) on technical cooperation in railway sector. 2. This MoU will be valid for a period of three years and it can be extended further for successive periods of one year at a time. Codes
184) The Union government, on August 3, 2014, has formed a committee to look into the amendments in Lokpal search panel rules, which were notified by the previous UFA government. Who is the Chairman of this committee?
187) The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has declared the port city's famous 'Erra Matti Dibbalu1, situated between Visakhapatnam and Bheemunipatnam, as one of the geoheritage sites in the country on July 23, 2014. The Erra Matti Dibbalu is also known as
189) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. KV Chowdary has been appointed as new Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in August, 2014. 2. Arvind Gupta has been appointed as the Deputy National Security Adviser on August 4, 2014. Codes
197) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Union Finance Ministry, on July 28, 2014. gave its nod to the proposal to set-up rape crisis centres in all districts of the country. 2. The proposal was made by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development. 3. According to the proposal, 660 rape crisis centres will be created across the country. Codes
198) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Union government of India, on July 28, 2014, launched the Rashtriya Gokul Mission (a nationwide scheme) to promote conservation and developments of indigenous breeds of cows in a focussed and scientific manner. 2. The Mission is a focussed project under national programme for Bovine Breeding and Dairy Development. Codes
199) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Indian cricket team, on August 7, 2014, equalled the world record of maximum number of 6 ducks (zero runs) in a test innings against England. 2. The other teams with the record of 6 ducks in a test innings are Pakistan, South Africa and Bangladesh.
201) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Guru Hanuman Akhara, a Delhi based wrestling academy, was chosen for the 2014 Rashtriya Khei Protasahan Puraskar (RKPP) on August 21, 2014. 2. Guru Hanuman Akhara is the oldest Wrestling School of India existing till now and was established in 1925.
202) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statement (s) from the codes given below : 1. Defence procurements from the Italian company Finmeccanica' and its affiliate firms were put on hold by the Union government on August 5, 2014. 2. The action was taken in 'wake of the alleged chopper scam.
203) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Muzaffar All, renowned filmmaker and poet, was awarded with the 22nd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on August 20, 2014. 2. This award was instituted by Ail India Congress Committee (AICC) in 1992 to commemorate the contribution of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. Codes
205) With regard to MS Swaminathan, consider the following statements : 1. He was conferred with an honorary degree of the Doctor of Science by the University of Agriculture in .Faisalabad, Pakistan on August 21, 2014. 2. He was honoured for his contribution to farm research and allied areas of plant-breeding, genetics, biodiversity and ecological studies. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? Codes
207) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Delhi University Professor Dr. Sunil Kumar, on August 13, 2014, received Global South Award given by Internatinal Political Science Association (IPSA). 2. He was awarded for his paper titled Changing Landscape of Electoral Democracy and Political Demography : A Study of 2014 General Elections in India. Codes
208) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. Securities Laws (Amendment) Bill 2014 was passed in the Lok Sabha by voice vote on August 6, 2014. 2. The Bill will empower and strengthen SEBI to crackdown on fraudulent investment schemes and seeks information from any entity related to a probe. Codes
209) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. President Pranab Mukherjee, on August 12, 2014, conferred the Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards on Arun Jaitley, Dr. Karan Singh and Sharad Yadav. 2. The Outstanding Parliamentarian Award was instituted in 1992 by Shivraj Patil who was the Speaker of LokSabha from 1991-96.
210) Consider the following statements ; 1. The Union Cabinet, on August 6, 2014, approved the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2014 to amend the Juvenile Justice Act 2000. 2. The Bill will treat minors above the age of 16 as adults, who are accused of heinous crimes like rape and murder. 3. The Juvenile Justice Act 2000 treats any person below the age of 18 as Juvenile. Which of the statements given above are correct?
211) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Supreme Court of India, on August 19, 2014, issued notice to the Union government seeking its response to amend ArticIe-348 of the Constitution of India. 2. Article-348 states that all proceedings in the Supreme Court and all the High Courts shall be done in English.
212) The geneticist Prof. Sir Alec Jeffreys, who discovered DNA fingerprinting in 1984, was awarded with the Copley Medal 2014 by Royal Society of London. He received the award for his great work in variation and mutation of human genome. He belongs to which country?
213) Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on August 13, 2014, approved the constitution of an Expenditure Management Commission (EMC). Who among the following has been appointed as the Chairman of this Commission?
214) With regard to Bachendri Pal, consider the following statements : 1. She was conferred with Bharat Gaurav, the highest honour of merit of East Bengal club, on August 5, 2015. 2. In 1984, she became the first Indian woman to reach the summit of Mt. Everest. 3. She received the Arjun Award by the government of India in 1989.
215) The Union Cabinet, on July 24, 2014, approved the much awaited Ken-Betwa river link project which will benefit which two States in terms of meeting irrigation, drinking water and electricity needs of people across six districts in the two States?
218) Consider the following statements and choose the correct statements from the codes given below : 1. Union Labour and Employment Minister Narendra Singh Tomar tabled two Labour Reform Bills in the Lok Sabha on August 7, 2014. The two Bills are the Factories (Amendment) Bill 2014 and the Apprentices (Amendment) Bill 2014. 2. The purpose of these two Bills is to reform the Factories Act 1948 and Apprentices Act 1961. Codes
220) Which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. The Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, on August 11, 2014, introduced The National Judicial Appointments Commission Bill, 2014 and 121st Constitution Amendment Bill in the Lok Sabha. 2. The 121st Constitutional Amendment Bill was introduced to give constitutional status to the six-member body called Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC).